I suggest you ...

Allow users to define lists of words they get notified for

So my name is Michael Sullivan, and people address me as Michael, Mike, Sullivan, or Sully. And I'm on the server team, which sometimes people want to get the attention of someone -- anyone -- on the team. I should be able to define a list like so:

Michael
Mike
Sullivan
Sully
#server
#serverteam

When any of those words are used in a flow, the behavior should be identical to when my username is used in the flow (so, the potentially higher-level notification plus the badge on the flow).

103 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Mike SullivanMike Sullivan shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

6 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • AndrewAndrew commented  · 

There are Pidgin plugins that do this and it's one of the things I miss most.

• Brendan MulhollandBrendan Mulholland commented  · 

I need this so that I get notified when I'm mentioned in Integration messages that flow in.

For example, I'm @bmulholland on GitHub and on Pivotal Tracker. I'm missing messages because people tag @bmulholland and I get no notification for that - they need to mention @brendan, which is a username that isn't me.

Right now I need others to solve this problem for me by tagging BOTH @brendan AND @bmulholland. Of course, that doesn't always happen, and that's sometimes a big problem.

• Ville MikkolaVille Mikkola commented  · 

This would solve the issue with people having multiple nick names. Now I have to choose between my first name and my nick. And now some of our team members are using their nicknames which confuses me even more if I try to mention them.

• Rick CogleyRick Cogley commented  · 

Love the idea, but, a problem occurs when there are more than one "Mike" in the flow, no? The alert-on-hashtag thing would be great, though.

• Anonymous commented  · 

Yes, this is an excellent idea.

Feedback and Knowledge Base